National Numbers: A car number plate dealer, recognised reseller by the DVLA
Office Hours : 9am - 7pm Mon to Fri. 9.30am - 7pm Sat. 10am - 7pm Sun
Call us on 01642 36 37 38

National Numbers Articles

James Bond Submarine Car Sells for £550,000

September 19, 2013
Posted in Auctions,Car news — Written by National Numbers

The infamous Lotus Espirit-turned-submarine was recently sold at auction.

Driven by Roger Moore in the 1977 Bond film, The Spy Who Loved Me, the aquatic vehicle is said to still be fully operational, though it is not road legal.

A bidding war took place for the legendary piece of memorabilia before finally selling for the £550k price tag.

Peter Haynes of RM Auctions, who ran the auction, said: “Bearing in mind it is not a car that can be driven on the road, the price just goes to prove the draw that all Bond-related memorabilia has.”

Despite the bidding war and impressive selling price, it was said that the vehicle could have reached closer to a million pounds.

James Bond car driven by Roger Moore in The Spy Who Loved Me

Lotus Espirit in The Spy Who Bought Me

It was one of the classic 007 scenes in cinema history. James Bond is driving the flash Lotus being chased by a helicopter. As he nears to end of the road with nowhere else to go, he drives off the edge of a dock into the cold ocean – only to turn his ride into a submarine.

It is one of the film franchises finest examples of our favourite spy cheating death and escaping an impossible situation.

The car had since been paraded around the world until it was put into storage by the production company, and that is where this story gets a bit weird.

For those who aren’t familiar with the TV show Storage Wars, if you rent a storage unit or shipping container but do not keep up with the payments, the owners have the right to auction off the contents.

In 1989, exactly this happened. After spending about ten years in storage, no one came to collect the 007 Lotus. At and auction in which bidders do not get to even look inside the storage container, the submersible sold for a meagre $100.

The buyer at the time, who has chosen to remain anonymous, did not recognise the car at the time, but has earned a very good profit from the recent sale.

An odd story, don’t you agree?

Dave Hester, from Storage Wars, agrees

YYYUUUUUUPPPPPP

The vehicle, nicknamed “Wet Nellie” by its on-set driver, retired Navy SEAL Don Griffin, was made for a sum of $100,000 – the equivalent of $500,000 today.

It sports the suffix number plate, PPW 306R, which were first issued in 1976.

The Aston Martin DB5 from Goldfinger and Thunderball, driven by Sean Connery, previously sold for $4.4million in 2010.

By 

Daniel Walker is a wannabe movie expert and is the founder and editor of ReelQuick.co.uk.

Nissan launch world’s fastest electric car

June 28, 2013
Posted in Car news — Written by National Numbers

By 

UK car manufacturer Nissan has launched an electric car  that can reach 185mph, making it the fastest eco-friendly vehicle in the world.

The Zero Emission On Demand Racing Car (ZEOD RC) is twice as fast as other electric cars currently on the market.

Nissan green project is fitted with modified versions of the electric technology used in their previous LEAF model.

The unique and innovative ZEOD RC will make its race debut at 2014 Le Mans 24 Hour event in France, competing under the Automobile Club de l’Ouest’s “Garage 56” entry — an additional spot on the grid for vehicles that showcase new and innovative technology.

There are plans to continue experimenting with several types of engine and electric technologies with the ZEOD RC in an attempt to improve its performance ahead of the race.

“The tech developed through the program will form part of future innovations for road cars,” said Ben Bowlby, Nissan’s Director of Motorsport Innovation who headed the ZEOD RC design team.

If the technology proves successful we will likely see future electric vehicles car the same specs.

Tailgaters and middle-lane drivers targeted by new fines

June 24, 2013
Posted in Car news,DVLA News — Written by National Numbers

New fines for anti-social and careless driving habits are to be introduced in July.

Tailgaters, middle-lane hoggers and mobile phone users will be targeted by the new on-the-spot penalties.

Currently, guilty drivers are issued with a court summons after being stopped by the police. Fines reduce bureaucracy, making it easier for police to crackdown on careless driving.

“Careless drivers are a menace and their negligence puts innocent people’s lives at risk,” said Transport Minister Stephen Hammond.

“That is why we are making it easier for the police to tackle problem drivers by allowing them to immediately issue a fixed penalty notice.”

On top of the fine, motorists will be given the option to complete a training course to avoid driving license points.

Drivers will be given 28 days to pay the fine.

Drivers may refuse to pay the fine if they feel they have been wrongly accused, though must defend themselves in court.

Simon Best, Chief Executive of the Institute of Advanced Motorists, feels that the new legislation has flaws.

“What we don’t want is for the line between careless driving, which attracts these fixed penalties, and dangerous driving to become blurred.

“For example, there could be an instance of dangerous driving which would, if pursued, involve a court case.

“But instead it’s downgraded to careless driving and a fixed penalty notice is issued because that’s easier from a procedural point of view.”

Edmund King, President of the AA, however supports the changes.

“We are please that at long last new powers and fines will be given to the police,” said King.

“We believe that an increase in the standard motoring fixed penalty fine will help deter those who commit motoring offences.”

By 

Authorities seize rare super car from learner driver

May 20, 2013
Posted in Car news — Written by National Numbers

A rare Lamborghini supercar has been seized after being illegal driven by a learner driver.

The £157,000 Lamborghini Gallardo Spyder was seen speeding by local authorities in Richmond. An insurance check found that the driver held a provisional license only.

As the insurance on the vehicle only covered full driving licenses the rare vehicle was taken in by Richmond’s Safer Transport Team.

There are only 5 units of the sports car in the UK, with only 50 originally leaving the factory.

A spokesperson for the Metropolitan Police said: “The driver of the high performance sports car will be appearing in court for the driving offences and potentially receiving a driving ban, penalty points and a large fine as a result of his actions.”

The U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration announced a recall of the Gallardo in September last year after a potential fire risk was discovered.

In October an American teenager died after a crash caused the car to catch fire.

By 

McLaren F1 Careful Owner

April 16, 2013
Posted in Car news — Written by National Numbers

An undriven McLaren F1 has been found for sale in Japan.

The classified ad details the car’s odometer as showing “0”, meaning the owner has never got behind the wheel despite owning it for 17 years.

The rare supercar has never even been registered since being bought in 1996, and would come with original documentation upon purchase.

The owner, described as a car collector, has reportedly kept the vehicle perfectly maintained while it has been stored in a climate-controlled unit.

Only 106 of the famous sport cars were manufactured between 1992 and 1998, making it one of the most sought-after motors in the world.

While no price has been specified, other McLaren F1s have been sold through auction at upwards of £5million. It is speculated that the unused, mint-condition, “as-new” car will be able to fetch much more.

Private number plate, F 1, could be the perfect match for the supercar.

However, the owner F 1 has reportedly turned down offers of £5million previously, making it potentially the most expensive number plate in the world and perhaps even more expensive than the McLaren F1 itself.

By 

A Cold Night: Stranded motorists forced to sleep in cars

March 13, 2013
Posted in Car news — Written by National Numbers

Drivers left in the cold by continuing snow storms had no option but to sleep in their cars.

The freezing conditions left public transport in disarray, with many routes being delayed or cancelled.

Major roads, including the M23, A23 and A27, were rendered undrivable by four inches of snow.

Stranded drivers braced temperatures falling to –3C (27F) for up to 15 hours overnight until they were able to move again.

Even gritters and snowploughs were caught in backed-up traffic with queues up to 40 miles long.

The 60mph winds also left one 27-year-old male with serious injuries after a telegraph pole was brought down onto him.

Sussex Police and British Red Cross worked hard to help vulnerable motorists as well as more than 300 reported incidents elsewhere in the area.

Meanwhile, the AA responded to 7,500 breakdown callouts.

Failure to keep roads clear despite snow warnings has left many drivers frustrated and angry.

The chaos continues in the aftermath with continued delays to public transport, including air and rail journeys. Numerous schools across the country have also been closed.

By 

Car smoking ban proposed by health minister

March 8, 2013
Posted in Car news — Written by National Numbers

Cars with child passengers should be a smoke-free zone, says public health minister Anna Soubry.

The Broxtowe MP justified this on the grounds of “child welfare”.

The idea had previously been put forward by several health groups, including the British Medical Association and Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health, but was rejected by the government.

David Cameron is said to be “nervous” about calling for a car smoking ban, despite supporting bans in pubs and clubs.

Anna Soubry, the acting Parliamentary Under-Secretary of Health, said: “I would ban smoking in cars where children are present.

“I think it is something we should at least consider as government.”

Ms. Soubry has made it clear that these opinions are her own and not that of the current government.

A former smoker herself, Soubry is often characterised for being very outspoken.

While there does not seem to be any plans to implement this law the government has encouraged people not to smoke around children in the past.

More than one in five smokers are likely to light-up in front of children, according to a Department of Health survey last year.

Children are more vulnerable to second-hand smoke due to less developed lungs, airways and immune system, as well as a higher breathing rate.

Asthma, respiratory illness and meningitis have been attributed to second-hand smoke in the past.

Martin Dockrell of the campaign group Action on Smoking and Health said: “The minister can count on our support.

“A ban on smoking in cars is the right thing to do.”

Similar bans have been implemented around the world, including Canada, USA, Australia and South Africa.

By 

Audi Named Car of the Year

January 10, 2013
Posted in Car news — Written by National Numbers

What Car? Magazine has named the Audi A3 Sportback as Britain’s Car of the Year.

“The Audi A3 Sportback mixes excellent refinement and an accomplished driving experience,” said Chas Hallett, editor-in-chief of What Cars? “It sets a new benchmark and it is keenly priced, a combination that makes it a worthy Car of the Year.”

The German-made vehicle was announced as the winner at the publications 36th annual awards. It was also given recognition as the best Small Family Car of the Year.

Ford was also a big winner at the ceremony held at the Grosvenor House on London’s Park Lane, including the Supermini of the Year (Ford Fiesta), Best Hot Hatch (Ford Focus ST-1), Best Family Car (Ford Mondeo) and Best Estate Care (Ford Mondeo Estate).

“Ford really is building great cars,” said Chas Hallett.  ”Its cars look good, are great to drive, reliable and make great buys.”

What Car? readers voted the Alfa Romeo 4C as the most exciting car coming in 2013.

Other major awards included Sports Car of the Year (Porsche Boxster 2.7), Luxury Car of the Year (Range Rover) and Executive Car of the Year (BMW 320 ED).

By 

Auto Trader links up with Yahoo! Cars

January 3, 2013
Posted in Car news — Written by National Numbers

UK used car site, Auto Trader, has announced a partnership with popular motoring site, Yahoo! Cars.

The partnership allows Yahoo users to search Auto Trader classifieds, increasing outreach to up to 90% of online consumers in the UK and Ireland.

“We are very excited to welcome Yahoo! Into our partner portfolio,” said Auto Trader’s Nathan Coe.

“The Yahoo! Cars channel has long been a favourite destination for many car enthusiasts and we are proud to provide our market-leading search to Yahoo!’s audience.”

Yahoo visitors can browse Auto Trader’s entire selection, and perform searches without leaving the Yahoo search engine. They can then click through to Auto Trader to see full adverts.

Auto Trader is the UK’s largest used car marketplace, seeing 11 million unique visitors to their website as well as 2.7 million mobile users. This gives them a market share of 49%, they claim.

At the same time Yahoo! Cars is one of the most active motoring sites around, even beating out rival Google’s equivalent.

Author: Daniel Walker

Car insurance premiums continue to fall

November 5, 2012
Posted in Car news — Written by National Numbers

Insurance premiums obtained through price comparison sites see biggest fall in years.

An average decline of 5.1% during the third quarter (July to September) reported by the Car Insurance Price Index is the largest since 2007.

This figure contributes to a yearly reduction now at 10.3% over the last 12 months.

The average premium in the UK is currently at £757 compared to £844 last year, a total reduction of £87.

Third party, fire and theft cover has also decreased in 12 months, falling by £24 on average (2.1%).

Duncan Anderson of Towers Watson, one of the companies involved in compiling the report, said: “Despite this being the fifth successive quarter of flat or falling rates for comprehensive cover, I think the current scale of the annual and quarterly decreases will cause some pause for thought in the insurance industry.”

Younger drivers are one of the main groups that have benefitted from reductions; younger female drivers especially.

Between 17 and 20 year old drivers, rates have fallen by 13.6% in the last year on average, but counting females alone the figure is 17.3%.

“Price decreases of this order signify jostling for position amongst insurers ahead of the implementation of the European Court of Justice ban on the use of gender in pricing from 21 December,” added Mr Anderson.

“Having won more younger driver business, they will seek to retain profitable segments by substituting other factors for gender and minimising the impact of the future price rises that are reasonably anticipated to affect many women in 2013.”

By