National Numbers
Tel: 01642 363738     Web :
QR Shortcut

How do I tax my vehicle if I am out of the country when my tax expires?

If you're due to be out of the country around the time your tax expires, don't worry - you can tax your vehicle from the 5th of the month that the tax expires online or by using the DVLA 24-hour phone service: 0300 1234 321.

If you do not have a recent reminder V11 you will need a V5C (log book) or a new keepers details slip V5C/2 and a debit/credit card. You can also set up a direct debit to pay vehicle tax. Make sure your vehicle is insured and has a valid MOT (if appropriate). You can get someone else to tax your car online for you if you give them access to your V5C or V5C/2 information and they will need to be able to pay by credit or debit card. Insurance and MOT validity are checked electronically.

Taxing a vehicle up to two months before the tax is due

You can tax your vehicle up to two months before the tax runs out by post.

You will need to send the following to DVLA, Sawansea, SA99 1DZ

  • A letter that explains why you are paying in advance.
  • A completed V10 or a completed V85 if the vehicle is an HGV.
  • The original (not a photocopy) vehicle V5C (log book).
  • A cheque, postal order or bankers's draft for the appropriate amount of tax made payable to DVLA Swansea.

Last updated: Tuesday 31st July 2018

Trustpilot 5 Stars
Based on 3768 reviews
See some of the reviews here.
Replace My Plates
Only need plastic plates? Replacement number plates for pick up from a local Collection Point
Order Here