Tel: 01642 363738     Web :
Santa's Stock Sale - For a limited time BIG savings
on selected stock registrations

How to Transfer a Private Registration


This article explains how you can transfer a personalised registration from one vehicle to another and explains the DVLA regulations currently in place.

By Post using the V317 Form

You will need the V317 application to transfer or retain a vehicle registration number. This can be collected from a Post Office which issues deals with vehicle registrations, or downloaded from the internet.

Section two of the V317 form should be signed and completed by the keeper of the donor vehicle (the vehicle from which the registration number is being transferred). Section three of the form asks for the details of the keeper and vehicle the registration number is being transferred to.

Requirements for transfer

The following apply to both vehicles in the transfer. You will need:

  • The vehicle registration certificate (V5C)
  • Up-to-date MOT (i.e. vehicle older than three years old)
  • Correct tax status
  • The transfer fee - which is currently £80

The vehicles must meet the following requirements:

  • Both vehicles must exist and be registered with the DVLA.
  • Both vehicles must be available for inspection if deemed necessary, although this is rare.
  • The vehicle given in section two (i.e. the vehicle currently registered with the mark; sometimes called the "donor" vehicle) must either be taxed or be declared SORN (Statutory Off Road Notification) - see below.
  • The vehicle in section three (sometimes referred to as the "receiving" vehicle) must be taxed for the last 5 years without any gaps or have a SORN for the same period of time
  • An application for tax may be made at the same time as the transfer - any changes to the V5C may also be made at the same time

Also note that:

  • You can only transfer vehicles which are subject to an MOT or GVT test some time in their life.
  • You cannot transfer to or from a vehicle registered with a Q mark.

Paying for the Transfer

Cheques are also accepted and should be made out to "DVLA Swansea". Postal Orders are also acceptable.

Where to Send?

All the above completed documentation should be sent to:

DVLA Personalised Registrations, Swansea, SA99 1AR.

The Next Steps

Once your application is approved by the DVLA the following will happen:

  • The vehicle in section two will be allocated another age-related replacement registration (unless you are transferring or assigning another registration of your choice at the same time)
  • The mark on the vehicle in section three will be lost unless you apply to transfer or retain it
  • V948 authorisation to have acrylic plates made will also be sent.
  • Your new V5C will be issued from Swansea and will arrive separately. The legal time to display your acrylic number plates is when you have a V5C (log book) showing the transfered registration.

Last updated: Tuesday 31st July 2018

Trustpilot 5 Stars
Based on 1266 reviews
See some of the reviews here.
Please quote 'DT' when you phone