National Numbers
Tel: 01642 363738     Web :
QR Shortcut

If you are a seller of a vehicle, you must work with the buyer of the vehicle to provide the information DVLA needs.

If your car has a personalised number plate on it, and you wish to keep it, you should arrange to transfer the registration onto another vehicle, or retain it on a certificate before selling the car. The V5C log book is your proof of ownership of the number plate - if that is re-issued in another persons name, they will effectively own your number plate!

With a V5C

Notify DVLA immediately of the exact date of sale using the registration document (V5C).

The buyer of the vehicle will want to take your name and address so you should provide them with this as they may need to contact you in the future.

With the buyer, complete section 2 of the V5C - 'Seling or transferring my vehicle to a new keeper'. Then send the V5C to DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1BD.

Complete section 6 and give this to the buyer to keep.

As shown on the V5C, if you sell the vehicle to a trader you must complete the V5C/4 section. Obtain the details and signature of the motor trader and post it to DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1BD.

Without a V5C

You should still inform the DVLA of the sale. To do so write to DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1AR and explain that you have sold the vehicle. Include the:

  • Vehicle registration mark
  • Make and model
  • Exact date of sale
  • Name and address of the new keeper

You should allow 4 weeks for discharge of ownership and confirmation letters before contacting DVLA.

Last updated: Monday 22nd February 2021

Trustpilot 5 Stars
Based on 3768 reviews
See some of the reviews here.
Replace My Plates
Only need plastic plates? Replacement number plates for pick up from a local Collection Point
Order Here