Tel: 01642 363738     Web :

Try our FAQ search

Enter the query you have and it will suggest the closest matching FAQ's we have the answers to!

How do I transfer a number plate from a certificate to a vehicle?

The act of moving a registration from a certificate (V750/V778) to a vehicle is termed 'assignment'.

You will need to send the full V5C (log book) for the vehicle, and the certificate, to the DVLA who will arrange for the assignment and you will receive a replacement V5C back in the post showing the new registration. At this point you can inform your insurer of the change and display the acrylic plates on the vehicle.

As the transfer fee (£80) is paid upfront when acquiring a certificate, there is no further charge to assign the registration to a vehicle.

It is also possible to perform the assignment online. You will need a reference number from the V5C and one from the certificate. After supplying these, the assignment will be done instantly and you can inform you insurer and attach the plates to the vehicle. A V5C will follow in the post.

There are some criteria that must be met to assign a registration to a vehicle:

  • The vehicle must either hold both current MOT and tax; be taxed and MOT expired; or MOT expired and tax expired less than six months.
  • The vehicle must be subject to MOT testing at some time during it's life.
  • You can't use a mark to make a vehicle look newer than it is e.g. you can't assign a 68 series registration to an 51 registration car. You are allowed to use an older registration.
  • You can't perform a number plate transfer onto a Q registered vehicle.
Assign A Number Plate To A Car
Trustpilot 5 Stars
Based on 1526 reviews
See some of the reviews here.
Please quote 'DT' when you phone