Tel: 01642 363738     Web :

Try our FAQ search

Enter the query you have and it will suggest the closest matching FAQ's we have the answers to!

How do I transfer a number plate from one vehicle to another?

You can transfer a registration from one vehicle to another to keep ownership of your personalised number plate when you change cars.

If you are selling your car and wish to keep the number plate it currently displays, you will need to arrange to transfer the registration from the vehicle BEFORE you sell it!

You can move the registration onto another vehicle, or move it onto a certificate and then later assign that to another car. The important thing is to do this in advance of selling the car. If you sell the vehicle with the registration still showing on the V5C log book, then the new owner will also become the owner of your plate!

To move your registration mark to another vehicle you will need to complete a V317 form and send your application to the DVLA along with the V5C registration certificates (log books) for both vehicles.

If you have just purchased the vehicle and don't yet have the full V5C for it, you should submit a completed V5C/2 New Keeper's Supplement with a completed V62 form.

The current fee for transferring a registration mark is £80, so include a cheque for this made payable to 'DVLA'.

There are a number of criteria that must be met for a successful vehicle to vehicle transfer. These include :

  • Both the vehicle currently showing the registration you are transferring (the donor), and the receiving vehicle, must either hold both current MOT and tax; be taxed and MOT expired; or MOT expired and tax expired less than six months.
  • The vehicles must be subject to MOT testing at some time during their life.
  • You can't use a mark to make a vehicle look newer than it is e.g. you can't transfer a 68 series registration to an 51 registration car. You are allowed to use an older registration.
  • You can't perform a number plate transfer onto a Q registered vehicle.

If you are buying a brand new car, then it's perfectly possible to transfer your current number plate to it. The car dealership should be able to assist with this for you.

The vehicle that you have removed the registration from will be issued with a replacement age-related registration mark (in most cases this will be the one it had prior to the personalised registration). You will receive new V5C's for both vehicles showing their new registrations. At this stage you can inform your insurers of the change and display the plates on the vehicles.

Trustpilot 5 Stars
Based on 1905 reviews
See some of the reviews here.