Tel: 01642 363738     Web :

Drivers with a full licence (category B) may be able to apply for provisional entitlements in a high category.

With an additional test, drivers who passed their test on (or after) 1st January 1997 may be able to upgrade to a higher category.

You will need to get provisional entitlement on a certain category to learn to drive in that category. You then work your way up the 'stages' i.e. full car licence to provisional licence for a lorry, minibus or bus.

The following table gives details of full licence categories that can apply for provisional entitlement in higher categories.

Provisional Entitlement RequiredFull Licence Desired
B+E*, G*, H*, C1, C, D1, DB

*With a full category B licence, provisional entitlement is granted automatically.

Upgrading your Licence

Once you have passed the test for a higher category vehicle, your lower category may be upgraded.

For example, and as a general rule, lorry entitlements can upgrade bus entitlements. Bus entitlements can not upgrade lorry entitlements. Both lorry and bus entitlements can upgrade car entitlements.

Full Licence Category HeldAdditional Test PassedUpgrading
B, C1C1+EB+E
B, D1D1+EB+E
B, C1, D1C1+EB+E, D1+E
B, C1, D1D1+EB+E
B, C1, CC+EB+E, C1+E
B, C1, C, D1, DD+EB+E, D1+E
B, C1, C, D1, DC+EB+E, C1+E, D1+E, D+E

For further information contact the DVLA.

Last updated: Tuesday 31st July 2018

Trustpilot 5 Stars
Based on 1598 reviews
See some of the reviews here.
Please quote 'DT' when you phone