National Numbers
Tel: 01642 363738     Web :
QR Shortcut
Limited time BIG savings on selected registrations

DVLA must be informed immediately of any changes to your personal details, or changes to your vehicle. You should return the registration certificate (V5C aka log book) to DVLA so that they can update your details, and issue your new certificate. This is a free service from DVLA.

On this page:
Change of Address Only
Change of Name Only
Change of Name and Address
Changes to your Vehicle

Change of Address Only

Complete section 6 on the V5C to inform DVLA of your new address details and send the registration document in its entirety to DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1BA.

Change of Name Only

Complete section 6 on the V5C with your new name, ensuring to complete all required details. Send the registration certificate in its entirety to DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1BA.

Change of Name and Address

Complete section 6 on the V5C with all your new details.

Receiving your New Registration Certificate

Expect your new registration certificate within four weeks of DVLA receiving your application. Allow at least six weeks before contacting DVLA.

For those with private registration retention certificates, ensure you return the certificate to DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1BW. DVLA will issue a new one within six weeks.

Changes to your Vehicle

If you change your vehicle's:

  • Colour
  • Engine
  • Cylinder capacity
  • Fuel type
  • Chassis or body shell
  • Seating capacity

...then you'll need to update your registration certificate (V5C).

You must provide documentary evidence if you make any changes to the engine number or cylinder capacity. Written evidence could be a receipt for a replacement engine, a letter from the manufacturer, or an inspection report.

DVLA will need written confirmation of any changes to fuel type if your existing engine is converted. The confirmation must be on headed paper from the garage that carried out the work. Written confirmation is also needed where a new engine has been fitted. In this case, the receipt provides confirmation.

How to Inform DVLA of the Changes

Use section 7 of the V5C registration certificate to notify any changes or corrections.

If the changes you've made don't change your tax rate, then send the registration certificate and documentation to DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1BA.

Receiving your New Registration Certificate

Expect to wait two to four weeks to receive your new certificate.

Last updated: Thursday 30th May 2019

Trustpilot 5 Stars
Based on 2766 reviews
See some of the reviews here.
Replace My Plates
Only need plastic plates? Replacement number plates for pick up from a local Collection Point
Order Here