Tel: 01642 363738     Web :

When a vehicle is stolen the first step should be to report the theft to the police. The police then notify DVLA of the theft.

Reporting the Theft

Make sure you have all the details about your vehicle to hand before you report the theft to the police. This includes:

  • Registration number
  • Vehicle make and model
  • Vehicle colour

You will be given a crime reference number which you should keep safe as you will need it for any insurance claim

Informing your Vehicle Insurers

Contact your insurers as soon as possible. If you don't get your vehicle back, and need to make a claim, then you must tell DVLA the date you received payment from the insurers, and the insuring company's name and address.

Vehicle Stolen with a Private Registration Number

Check the regulations for keeping your private registration number.

Last updated: Thursday 30th May 2019

Trustpilot 5 Stars
Based on 1905 reviews
See some of the reviews here.