National Numbers
Tel: 01642 363738     Web :
QR Shortcut

Which vehicles are exempt from paying car tax?

Vehicles used by a disabled person

You can claim disability exemption when you apply for vehicle tax if you meet various criteria. For more information see Qualifiying for Disabled Tax Class.

Disabled passenger vehicles

Apart from ambulances, vehicles that are used by organisations providing transport for disabled people are exempt.

Mobility scooters, powered wheel chairs and invalid carriages

To be exempt vehicles in this category need to a maximum speed of 8mph on the road, and must be fitted with a device limiting them to 4mph on footways.

Historic vehicles

Vehicles made over 40 years ago are exempt e.g. cars built before 1 January 1978 are exempt from 1 April 2018.

Electric vehicles

To be exempt the electricity for the vehicle must come from an external source or an electric storage battery not connected to any source of power when the vehicle is moving.

Mowing machines

To be exempt mowers must be designed, constructed and used just for cutting grass - this does not include tractors used to tow gang mowers.

Steam vehicles

Steam-powered vehicles are exempt.

Vehicles used just for agriculture, horticulture and forestry

Exemptions include tractors, agricultural engines and light agricultural vehicles used off-road plus 'limited use' vehicles used for short journeys (not more than 1.5 kilometres) on the public road between land that's occupied by the same person.

Some vehicles with low emissions/alternative fuels pay no vehicle tax

For a full and current list, please visit this link.

Last updated: Thursday 30th May 2019

Trustpilot 5 Stars
Based on 3768 reviews
See some of the reviews here.
Replace My Plates
Only need plastic plates? Replacement number plates for pick up from a local Collection Point
Order Here